Thursday, September 20, 2012

Bryson IWA

"Good English and Bad"

Summary:

Bryson attacks the idea of what good and bad English consists of by saying those in charge of the rules are prejudice and conditioned. The situation of debate seems ironic and amusing when Bryson tells us that the English language is a mixture of several other languages and many of the rules for English come from Latin (also not English). So why, then, would there be problems with English being fluid and evolving when the very beginning of the language began that way? Throughout history "higher-ups"have called for constraint to purify and keep regulated our language, while they changed the rules for their own purposes. As life is fluid, so is language, and there is no way to stop its evolution, nor is there a reason to judge one construction of it better than another.

Before You Read:

I am very different in my opinion on what is good and bad English. I consider good English to capture a real voice, relay a complete thought, but be unique in the process. I consider bad English to be a jumbling and confusing thought or a plain, dull, and boring regurgitated thought constructed to means of approval. I think both are mockeries of the beauty our language can be.

QJD:

Bryson is questioning the construct of what constitutes good and bad use of English language. He quotes writers as using the language incorrectly, but deeming it as acceptable because of their namesake, while requesting constraint on the very language they misuse, according to their own rules.

AEI:

Bryson says language changes overtime by the way words are used and those that adapt it. I think Bryson would condone a lot of the changes of our day. I think he believes language lives and breathes just as we do.

MM:

Noun, verb, indirect object, direct object, adjective, adverb, prepostion, prepositional phrase, conjunction.
I did learn these in school, and actually I'm pretty proud that I listed them in a sentence without all of the pieces making sense, especially since I used a period at the end. the grammarian in me is appalled, yet proud. I do think it inhibits my writing sometimes because I'm constantly aware of it and wondering what will be the main point when someone looks at my writings: the correct use of grammar or my earth-shattering ideas. (hehe).  <-------Not a complete sentence.


No comments:

Post a Comment