Sunday, September 9, 2012

Allen Apparatus Q's


Getting Ready to Read

     I think that writing constructs with professional writers are all just imaginative devices to make us believe we might not be able to do what they do. I think we make up things in our minds to deter us from trying. I believe the same is with students, that they have beliefs on what a good writer is and talk themselves out of believing they, too, can be a good writer.  I think the similarities are that both types of constructs end up being a hinderance to writing, in general, but I think the difference is, for professionals, they push forward with hope and students settle with their work.
     I believe that professional writers write on their own terms, but I've been around enough to know that this is the case. they write when they feel inspired and try to push through the blocks. However, students give up way too easy because they do not know it's like that for everyone.  It's not easy at all, it's just an acquired practice.
    My process is staying up all through the night when inspiration hits. I write until I can no longer write and then I rest. Sometimes the wave of inspiration goes away for a while, and sometimes it doesn't. to get back the inspiration, though, I sometimes do random word games and connect words I wouldn't usually.
  
Applying and Exploring Ideas
 I do agree with Allen that the purpose of writing is connection, but I also think that the reason some are better at writing than others is because of connection as well. For instance, I’m not a big fan of having students write about assigned subjects because they don’t connect to everything. The better written essays are ones that students connect to, therefore can help others connect to as well. Some of the other reasons could be to further help themselves to connect by learning more, but also just for fun and to find a different audience for their work.

Questions for discussion and journaling
 Allen poses that the inspired writer does not exist. I have to half-way disagree. I have met people who can sit down and write something brilliant on request. However, I believe that these writers are incubation writers, in other words, they’ve thought about and connected with the material for a while, worked on their thoughts, and are ready to write. Not everyone works this way. Allen says the idea of such a person intimidates students to believe they are not good writers, and I agree with this. I think students need to be taught many different ways of writing so that they know this is not the only way possible.

I guess technically I have colluded but did not know it was a form of plagiarism. Honestly, I understand constantly having someone edit your papers will keep you from learning how to correct grammatical mistakes, however, we do pay editors to look at drafts and help with mistakes. This is a very sticky question. I know people who think imitation writing is wrong as well but it all depends on the intent. I have typed Flannery O’Connor’s “Country Matters” over 27 times to understand her methods of timing and word choice. I love her short stories, though. I’ve never combined her words and mine, though. However, I have had friends look through my short stories for mistakes. Whether or not that’s collusion, I’m not sure. But Allen suggests having teachers and peers “suggest” changes. I’m honestly not sure of the difference.  


·       Meta-moment

·        In my early days as an undergraduate there would be nights were I would fall asleep so upset with myself because I couldn’t write something brilliant in a first draft before morning because I thought that some people could. I honestly almost dropped out of college for the very reason. But I learned what my process as a writer is. I look at an assignment as soon as I get it, then I stew on the idea and questions. I read it as often as I need to, then the day before I prepare a rough draft that as Hemingway puts it—first drafts are always shit. So I know this ahead of time. The next morning, I edit and change what I think is bad about it. But I had to learn this. It wasn’t something told to me in class or in Allen’s article. For many students, though, it will be this article. I plan to tell them Hemingway’s thoughts on the matter, too. That way they will figure out their process.

No comments:

Post a Comment