Thursday, November 15, 2012

Teaching Journal Week #10--Oct. 29th-Nov.2nd

An update on my student in the previous post: the ROTC coordinator e-mailed me to tell me that my student would be late every Wednesday and sometimes on Fridays. The wording of the e-mail was intended to be intimidating, I believe, because specific wording was:

 "*&^%$ will continually be late because her first priority is to us. I appreciate your understanding and ability to excuse her absence at such times".

 My response was:
 "*^%$ signed up for my class at this specified time. If she knew she would be out or late getting back, she should have signed up for a different class. I am willing to excuse her tardiness as long as it is not disrupting my class and no more than 15 minutes. Anything after will not be excused and please understand that no amount of help from me to fill her in on what she misses is the same as being in class discussion. It's hurting her grade by interrupting her understanding of the material for her to write her projects. Please consider allowing her to leave your program early to make it to my class because her education is important as well."  

A following e-mail was sent to me after this that said "Duly noted."
The student has not been absent or late since.

 *Yay*

Teaching this week went great.  My students really enjoyed getting to see each other's presentations. They worked so hard on them that I thought it would only be right to allow them to showcase them in class. I had a superb outcome of projects!

Also, we broke up into groups of two on Wednesday and I had one person pretend to be from the other's discourse community while the other person asked questions. This was a fun exercise because it demonstrated both "mushfaking" and gave the student an idea of how to build interview questions. I asked them to consider what they need to know to be able to understand how to communicate and interpret the data.  The trial run was fun and successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment